Sunday, September 25, 2011

Getty Villa --> I'm not Worthy

For a September day, it was sadly overcast and drizzly. (It reminded me of the drive to CB.)  Surprisingly, it only took us like 45 mins to get there so we arrived well before our 12 pm reservation.  Thankfully, AK had a coupon so we saved on the $15 parking. OMG!!

The first few images of the Getty were beautiful.  The building was very spectacular and the gardens were very serene and beautiful.

Getty Villa Front Entrance
Getty Villa driving back from Malibu Seafood
However, we got bored after like 2 hours.  It wasn't like I didn't want to learn about culture.  It was just that I was B-O-R-E-D.  It wasn't interesting to me.  I guess reading all the romantic books about larger than life heroes made the reality of all of the relics so bland to me.  Of course some of the art was beautiful but it was just not as spectacular as I had expected.  I guess I had built the Getty Villa so much in my mind that by the time I actually went it was like: Meh! What would happen if I broke something.  Uggh! or Dayum! That's old!

The highlights:

Medusa Mosaic
 
Gold Jewelry

Fountain near the entrance of the Villa


Studio near the Getty Villa

Afterwards we went to the Malibu Seafood which was about 10 miles from the Getty Villa.  From the Yelp reviews, it sounded like an awesome place.  Maybe it was the overcast skies but it was very crowded.  Our expections were maybe too high because I think the bees and the flies were more excited by our meal than we were.  We had the large shrimp plate, clam chowder and the squid steak sandwich and fries.  It was very generic. Almost wished we had gone further to The Sunset Restaurant BUT after the experience at Raya, I think we were still a bit flustered about snotty people.  At least the drive back reminded me of the view from Raya.  Overall, I figure one day, I'll be "mature" enough to appreciate art and culture...Sadly yesterday was NOT that day.  Wish the weather had been nicer but it was a nice day trip.


Lunch at Malibu Seafood

Malibu: View from the car
   

No comments:

Post a Comment