Thursday, May 26, 2011

Adventures in Yakatori

T and I went to Kappo Honda after I tried unsuccessfully to convince him to go with me to eat sushi. Yes I still wanted to go even after going about five different times over the past several weeks. He wouldn't budge but wanted to do yakatori. Sadly it wasn't Shinsengumi affectionately known as SSG.

When we arrived last Sunday, there was a line outside. Oh crud but I thought SSG is right across the street. We could go there. However, the waitress said we could go right in. The restaurant's decor reminded me a little of Matsui. It had an old Japanese style decor and was packed with families.

Beef w/radish and garlic
We went on a total protein fest. I guess it was my error. I kept comparing the yakatori w/that of SSG. We started off with the Tuna Carpaccio and the grilled beef with radish and garlic. The shocking thing was that it was BLAND.  I actually had to use soy sauce and pepper to taste.  It had no flavor to me.  :(  Then it was the plethora of the yakatori.  Bring on the heart, gizzard, chicken skin, cartilage, pork belly, cheeks.  Out of everything, I think we liked the skin and belly the best.  However, I still liked SSG better but I DON'T miss the noise.  My ears thank the silence.


Pork Belly


Heart and Gizzard
Chicken Skin






No comments:

Post a Comment